X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharg
    • Jun 2000

Question about badword.php

Hi,
    if what I understand is correct, bad word php will be used when rebuilding search index to exclude some words from being indexed right ?

1) Do you know a site where I could find the current actual english content of badword php in french ?

2) Instead of including specific words in this file, wouldn't it be better for us to be able to set so that it will NOT index ANY word < 3 letters ? So we should not bother specifying specific words.

thoughts ?

Thanks,
  • Freddie Bingham
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • May 2000
    • 1.1.x

Beta 2 will not index words < 3 in addition to badwords.php.

Comment

• Sharg
      • Jun 2000

Great !

Comment

• The_Sisko
        • Jun 2000

OK, thing think big problem for other languages. I run a german vbb. My database oft the vb 1.14 is about 18 MB big, my testboard (vb2) is 52 MB big because of the big searchindex table. I write a german badword list with about 250 words and get it down to 760 000 entries in the search index and 90 000 in the word table.

I will work on the german badwords list but it far to big. Before my german badword list the searh index table was 1 069 000 big.....

so there need to be done something. We run to vbb's on the server an d only got 100MB space for mysql.....so we run out f space

Any Idea how to "fix" it my self for test (>3 thing)???? Or anyhelp to find a exsiting wordlist for german?????

HELP
        The Sisko
        SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

• Sharg
          • Jun 2000

Oh and by the way, why the search is different in 2.0 than in 1.x ?

In 1.x the database was really small and the search was the faster search I ever saw. It was perfect and allowed to search by subject

On 2.0 the DB seems to take more place, be a bit slower, and we are NOT able to search by subject. Why ?

Thanks,

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Because in 1.1.X the search elements were stored in the thread table and they were incomplete. Often times when you searched you got invalid results. Since they were in the thread table, it was easy to pull the thread title and allow searching on that as well.

In 2.0 the search elements are in their own tables. They are more valid and allow more advanced searches like (AND, OR and NOT). The searches don't seem to touch the thread table anymore and all searches are stored by post. This makes updating new posts faster on large boards because you don't have to reindex every post of the thread every time a new on it added.

I personally don't find the search any slower than before.

As far as the large size. Just exclude the SearchIndex and Word tables from your backup and it will be the same size. If you ever have to restore just rebuild these tables from within the control panel.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Sharg
              • Jun 2000

Again, Wluke you bring light

Thanks for your answer.
              I will soon need to ask how to backup the database from telnet excluding tables.

Would you explain me what should I type on SSH to do a database backup, expluding the search index, the word and the attachements table ?

Also, when I restore the database, will I not have table with VB not finding tables ? How would you deal with this ?

Thanks,

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

You would have to recreate those tables or vB would have problems. The queries to for each table could be found in install1.php.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

This is what I would do. I would create script that would only create those tables and use it during any restoration operation.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• The_Sisko
                    • Jun 2000

Nice, but what about my question, I run out of space....the database is bigger then the forum.....thats very bad I think, it mzst be improved.....not all of us got a own server , some like me are restricted to XXX MB's!
                    The Sisko
                    SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

• Sharg
                      • Jun 2000

Then turn attachement feature OFF...
                      Space problem would be the same if the attachement would be stored in the DB or a directory.

Comment

• The_Sisko
                        • Jun 2000

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE BAD SEARCH INDEX TABLE, IT'S MUCH BIGGER THEN MY FORUM!!! IT's because there is no badwords list for german, and I got now 250 words in it and the searchindex table is still 760000 entries big!
                        The Sisko
                        SciFi-Forum.de

Comment

• Sharg
                          • Jun 2000

Oops, sorry I thought we were in another thread
                          Well beta 2 will not index any word < 3 letters so this will help alot.

Comment

• Sharg
                            • Jun 2000

Another question, is badword case sensitive ?
                            I mean should I specify "Un" and "un" or will they both get excluded if I specify only "un" ?

Also does it deal with latin characters like é,è,' ?

For a word like "thé" should I specify "the" or "thé" ?

Thanks,

Comment

• Sascha
                              • Oct 2000
                              • 4.1.x

I NEED A GERMAN badwords.php !

HELP!!!!!!!!!

thankS

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...