Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drumsy
    • Jul 2001

Methods to reduce forum bandwidth??

Hey guys, well, a few of you may know that Purehonda changed hands recently. I'm now in a position to do more now that I did before, so I'm asking this question.

We're currently looking for better hosting options, etc....but my main concern right now is reducing bandwidth.

What kind of things can I change with our form to do that? I'm currently working on changing our format to a "view THEN register to post" instead of our current "register to view and post" format. I ran into a problem with it, which I posted in the troubleshooting forum.

The link for the forums is http://www.purehonda.com/forum and yes, I am removing that redirect page!

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

do a search on this forum for reduce or reduction in bandwidth alot of tips around
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• drumsy
      • Jul 2001

I should have been so keen to do that first! I'm also having difficulty having my question answered in the Troubleshooting forum. I'm trying to revert the forums to the "view then register to post" format, but have encountered an error. I'm not able to provide license information in my profile, since I am not the webmaster, just an administrator. Is there anything I can do to hasten a responce, if any?

Comment

• Fred
        • Jun 2000
        • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

Hey buddy, if you neded hosting. I charge $2.50 per gig of bandwidth and $1 per 50mb space. I got my own servers, ect.

Comment

• George L
          Former vBulletin Support
          • May 2000
          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Fred
          Hey buddy, if you neded hosting. I charge $2.50 per gig of bandwidth and $1 per 50mb space. I got my own servers, ect.
          i doubt you'd be able to handle purehonda.com's load and traffic at 300 - 400GB/month?

i believe purehonda.com is on the verge of needing a 2 dedicated server setup (web server/database server)
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Dave#
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Fred

Good grief
            http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• amykhar
              • May 2001
              • 3.5.x

Just a thought. Won't opening the board up to lurkers INCREASE bandwidth useage?

Amy
              http://www.eaforums.com

Comment

• drumsy
                • Jul 2001

Well, I'm trying to do it for two reasons.

1: It's frowned upon here in these forums.

2: Our current member count is at 52k. Members who have posted 1 time or more is around 13-15k. Say PH has to pull 5 pages from the server to register someone. That...39k members at the most at 5 pages a member......that's 195,000 pages that didn't have to be pulled to register them. Correct me if I'm totally wrong, but wouldn't that have saved quite a bit 'o bandwidth?

Comment

• Dave#
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by drumsy
                  Well, I'm trying to do it for two reasons.

1: It's frowned upon here in these forums.

2: Our current member count is at 52k. Members who have posted 1 time or more is around 13-15k. Say PH has to pull 5 pages from the server to register someone. That...39k members at the most at 5 pages a member......that's 195,000 pages that didn't have to be pulled to register them. Correct me if I'm totally wrong, but wouldn't that have saved quite a bit 'o bandwidth?
                  Your totally wrong
                  http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

• drumsy
                    • Jul 2001

Then I've learned something new! Thanks! Might it be possible to get a brief explanation, to further enhance my new knowledge?

Comment

• Haakon
                      • Jan 2001

Well, if your guests are able to view the board, then they will probably pull far more than five pages. Your BW will increase heavily, but I can`t understand how a board alone can take over 300GB a month, is it like a favorite honda pic in everyone`s sig or something?

Comment

• amykhar
                        • May 2001
                        • 3.5.x

From my experience, when lurkers were allowed, bandwidth was higher. We got rid of lurkers and our page views went down.

Then I got smart and changed to Vbullein instead of UBB, turned on compression, and my bandwidth usage went WAY down and I was able to let lurkers back in.

Life is good with Vbulletin

Amy
                        http://www.eaforums.com

Comment

• drumsy
                          • Jul 2001

Originally posted by Haakon
                          Well, if your guests are able to view the board, then they will probably pull far more than five pages. Your BW will increase heavily, but I can`t understand how a board alone can take over 300GB a month, is it like a favorite honda pic in everyone`s sig or something?
                          Haha, no, we actually disabled vb code in sigs and images for now.....

The site does have thousands of content pages, free email, and free 10mb webpages also, in addition to our "50,000" ( <-- )member base, of which, 12-14k or so are active..

Comment

• Fred
                            • Jun 2000
                            • 3.5.0 Pre-Release

We have 4 servers, we can handle any traffic. Trust me. Just email me at [email protected]. If you need 2000 gigs of traffic, thats fine. We'll sort out the details later.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...