X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.5.x

regarding the "no forum specified error"

If you are just having this problem when trying to post a new thread/reply, please see the following thread: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=41098

There was a security release from php.net that had to do with a vulnerability in the upload routine native to php. They have issued a patch for it, and have advised everyone to turn uploads off for the time being. What it looks like happened is that several hosting companies possibly turned off register_globals also, even though it wasn't mentioned as a vulnerability in the alert.

the devs are banging their heads together to try to come up with a solution, so all we can ask is that you contact your hosts to see what they did to register_globals in php and try to get them to turn it back on, and be patient as we try to find a workaround for those who won't turn it back on.

It's off in the newer releases by default, and some of the companies who recompiled may not be aware of this.

[edit: Changed setting name, it's register_globals, not track_vars]
    Last edited by Mike Sullivan; Mon 4 Mar '02, 7:52pm.
    Webmaster:
    @forumz
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

im not sure about all persons but alot of people on my board are avoiding the error by changing the option in UserCP to browse the board using cookies, not sure if this is just a coincidence or not yet.
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Visionray
      • Jan 2002

Thank you to the mods and the developers of VB for taking this issue seriously. It appears this is effecting many members by the multiple threads on the same issue.

One thing mentioned is that the webhost may have possibly turned off track_vars. I talked with Martin earlier....he went into my cp and told me that my track_vars are on...so that might not be the problem. Im talking to my host tommorow to see exactly what they did yesterday and I will report back.

thanks guys.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
        • Jun 2000
        • 4.0.x

The setting you need to check isn't track_vars, as this is always on for newer versions of PHP, it's "register_globals". For PHP versions 4.1 and above, this setting defaults to "off", while it defaulted to "on" in prior versions. If you or your host upgrades to the newest PHP 4.1.2, you need to make sure register_globals is set to "on" in the php.ini file for vBulletin (and many other PHP applications) to work properly.

Comment

• Visionray
          • Jan 2002

ok thanks I'll let them know.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
            Former vBulletin Developer
            • Apr 2000
            • 3.6.x

If you're running Apache and you host hasn't turned register_globals back on yet, you should be able to turn them on locally via a .htaccess file. Simply put the following line in the .htaccess file whereever you need register_globals (at the lowest place, the main vBulletin directory). Remember that .htaccess settings are inherited by child directories.

php_flag register_globals on

Save and upload it to the correct location.

And yes, if you're not sure, the filename is literally DOT-htaccess. To save that filename in Notepad, you'll need to surround it with quotes: ".htaccess" . Alternatively, you can upload the file with any filename via FTP and rename it via your FTP client.
            Last edited by Mike Sullivan; Wed 27 Feb '02, 8:10pm.

Comment

• Visionray
              • Jan 2002

Thanks Ed.

Sorry but you be a bit more specific? Which directory would I upload to? Im still learning this. Thanks

Comment

• Visionray
                • Jan 2002

ok nevermind. I saw you edited your post. I understand now.
                Thanks

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

You can put it in your main web directory (often called 'public_html'.)
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 3.6.x

The following thread has a longer explanation of this post:

Also, although I've only done a quick skim, some people may need to remove the following from at least the newthread/newreply/editpost templates:

enctype="multipart/form-data"

Although since you need to remove that to post, it's doubtful that your host has attachments enabled right now anyway, keep in mind that without that encoding type, you will never be able to attach files.
                    Last edited by Mike Sullivan; Mon 4 Mar '02, 7:53pm.

Comment

• Visionray
                      • Jan 2002

Allright!!!

Thanks guys. The htaccess file worked!

I also needed to remove the code from the post templates..before it worked. But that was an easy fix!
                      My forums are postable now.

Question now....
                      Should I take down the htaccess file after I am sure the host has installed the patch? - and then insert the code back into the post templates?

thanks again guys

Comment

• CB_Tommy
                        • Mar 2001
                        • 3.6.x

Will there be a new vbulletin version?

Will we see a special vBulletin 2 Version that will run proberly with register globals set to off?

Comment

• tubedogg
                          • Feb 2001

No.

Comment

• Ray Fritz
                            • Feb 2002

Thanks everyone

Your fixes were right on the money and
                            a great help when my ISP (PAIR) basically told
                            me to pack sand.

Ray

Comment

• shellx
                              • Nov 2001

I also am hosted with pair networks (www.cavbooks.com), and I tried both the patches but they didn't work. I ended up having to create a .htaccess file which contained the following:

php_flag register_globals on
                              php_flag file_uploads on

After adding the second line this worked! I hope this will help other pair networks users.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...