Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seemaxrun
    • Jul 2001

Mac IE table display border wrong

On a Mac using Internet Explorer 5.0 the right table border extends up to a hundred pixels on the forum dispaly page. The only time it does not is if a thread has a really long title that pushes it out to its correct border. Short of going in and on purpose naming threads titles too long I cannot find a fix for this. Sigh.

Doesn't happen in Netscape, but does in I.E. which is the preferred browser these days and also the browser I use. And 5.0 is the only I.E. upgrade available to Macs right now so upgrading is not an option for Mac users.

You can see if you are on a Mac using I.E. at: http://seemaxrun.com/forum/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=23

Someone on a PC said they were not seeing this though I am not sure they were looking at the right page and I have to do more checking on that.

I have gone into display template all over looking for a place to alter this and I cannot find any item that changes out what appears to be an extension of the table head along the side of the thread display. I tried changing row numbers and all that did was mess up the titles. And I changed the background for "last post" and that made it all white but then my table head color was off in a cell. There is something wrong in here and I cannot find it.

Does anyone know a fix for this or what is off in my template that would cause this? I originally created the board with vbulletin 2.0.1 and recently upgraded to 2.0.3 and I thought maybe a template was off in 2.0.1. and it would go away with the upgrade but it has not (and probably that was a dumb thought since 2.0.3. did not overwrite templates anyway) and this was the way the pages were displaying before I touched any templates it has always been like this and I need a fix. Sigh.
    max

http://www.seemaxrun.com/forum
  • Mike Sullivan
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Apr 2000
    • 3.6.x

Looks fine in Windows, and I didn't notice anything glaring in the source code.

Can we see a screenshot? Does it only happen on that page? (Post a thread with only a few words in it and see if the post is full width)

Comment

• seemaxrun
      • Jul 2001

It happens in all the forums. One other person who is on a pc using netscape 4.8 says he is getting it too. The right border is too wide unless a thread title is so long it pushes extends far enough to push the right border to its proper 1 pixel border size. The irritating thing is I go look at other vbulletin boards and this is not happening in any of them so it is not a peculiarity of my browser, it is a peculiarity of my page and not everyone can see it, it only happens in certain browser versions and I do not know why but I want to fix it.

I would love to show you a screenshot but I do not know how to make those and everytime I go looking for information on it I just run into a million blank walls and do not have five hours to kill looking for one simple and dumb way to do one little thing no frigging search engines have logged.

Sigh.

I am having a bad computer day.

Anyway, just look at the forum thread display and imagine the right border line is between 20 and 80 pixels wide instead of one and that is exacty what is happening.

Double sigh.
      max

Comment

• seemaxrun
        • Jul 2001

screenshot

Scratch that, I figured out what was going wrong with the screenshots I put one up at:

screenshot

And the image if I am pasting it right here should appear below:

Yay, it worked! (A first for the day, wry smile.) Okay see that thick right table border? That is the problem. Any ideas?
        Last edited by seemaxrun; Tue 21 Aug '01, 9:08pm.
        max

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Apr 2000
          • 3.6.x

Hmm... try adding some widths that add up to 100% to the tables in forumdisplaybit and forumdisplay_threadslist and see if that helps.

Comment

• seemaxrun
            • Jul 2001

Miracle of miracles.

Wow it worked. Thanks.

If anyone else encounters this problem, I went into the forumdisplay_threadlist template and coded in widths "thread" to 35%, "started by" to 20%, "replies" to 10%, views to "10%", and last post to "25%."

I may mess around with those numbers a little bit but the extended tableheadcolor is off the right border margin now those all have set widths equalling a hundred yay!

Thank you Ed. I have done so many different things with this page I thought I had done that already but went in again thinking why not who knows and when a page actually came up right I had to blink twice and make sure I was on the right page. (smile)

(P.S. Just in case could you look at http://seemaxrun.com/forum/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=7 and make sure it does not do anything wonky in your browser now it works in mine?)

[Fixing link --Ed]
            Last edited by Mike Sullivan; Wed 22 Aug '01, 6:54pm.
            max

Comment

• Chadl
              • Aug 2001

Where do you place the code

Where exactly did you place that code? I looked all through the forum display template that you mentioned and couldnt find those fields. Is it possible for you to e-mail me the code of your template?

Thx in advance,

Chad

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

i have never had that problem on any of my macs. but i always have that problem with the NT4 machines at my work. i could never fix it.

Comment

• seemaxrun
                  • Jul 2001

Re: Where do you place the code

Well it is not perfect the guy on Netscape 4.8 still gets the too wide border but it cleaned up the Mac I.E. 5.0 display. (Also he cruises with java turned off and miscellaneous odd settings so his settings may be effecting his view too.)

Originally posted by Chadl
                  Where exactly did you place that code?
                  Chad you go into the forumdisplay_threadlist template and skim to right below the hidden inputs fields, to your first "<a href>".

That is the "thread" column and you put the first width in there. I stuck it in after font color so after the anchor I have "<font color="#EEEEFF" width="60%">"

(There is not a width to alter in the template going in, at least not in my template, you have to write it in.)

Then you stick a width into each <td>, so I've got "<td bgcolor="#8080A6" width="15%" nowrap>" (that is the thread starter column); "<td bgcolor="#8080A6" width="5%" nowrap>" (that is the thread count column) --

And keep going till each "<td>" has a width enterred all the way through the "last post" column and those widths equal 100%.

(P.S. Technically, I do not have color numbers in those sections, I have things like tableheadbgcolor in there but the vbulletin forum is re-interpreting those commands in the post and writing in its own colors in the color fields. Hope it helps.)
                  Last edited by seemaxrun; Sat 25 Aug '01, 12:16pm.
                  max

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...