X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kitchend
    • Mar 2001

Applying Styles to Calendar?

hiya,

i'm sure this is possible, and actually presumed it was when i got my friend to purchase a license!

but the question is how do i have styles applied to the calendar?

what i mean is that you have different styles which can be used for all of vbulletin, but it seems that the calendar uses the default styles.

if i call the calendar appended with an alternate styleid, it doesn't take effect.

what we desire is that the calendar will use the users chosen style, or a dictated style (not the default one, but one we specify in the URL query string - different at different parts of the site) to do the colours, graphics, layout, etc. and for it not to just to default all the time.

again, sure this is possible, maybe i'm just missing it. please let me know

cheers

david k
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

This isn't possible. Currently the calendar and other "generic" areas of vBulletin use the style named "Default".

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

The Calendar on my site uses the various styles. I didn't have to do anything special. I just changed the 'calendar colors' of each style to match that particular color scheme.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

I should have said that the calendar will use the style the user has chosen, if any, or the "Default" style otherwise.

Comment

• chilliboy
          • Jun 2001

Hi,

This is one thing I've been looking into as I really wanted this for my site. Say your in 'blue forum' and you hit search I wanted it in 'blue style', then if your in red forum and hit 'search' I wanted it in red style. I've almost got it figured. What you do is put something like this in phpinclude:

if ($getforum[styleid])
          {
          $URLstyle = "&styleid=$getforum[styleid]";
          }

then look in your 'header' template and append '$URLstyle' to all the generic button links and the style gets passed on. You have to make sure all your forums have 'user cannot overide style' set otherwise you could end up having 'blue forum' turn red.

This is currently the best way I have found of doing it.

Personnaly I think this should happen by default - or atleast be an option - maybe for next version?
          Last edited by chilliboy; Wed 11 Jul '01, 1:11am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Actually that is a pretty messy way of doing it.

You see everytime you append &styleid=X onto a URL you change the user's default choice of styles. So everything appears blue when the user would actually prefer red, whether they are in that blue forum or not.

So every time they go into a different set of forums which you changed the styles on, they get a new style assigned to them and the only way they can change it back is to edit their user options and never visit those forums again. Which defeats the whole purpose of giving a unique look to forums to begin with.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• chilliboy
              • Jun 2001

Well I admit its not ideal but until vb allows the 'generic' sections to inherit styles its the only way I can get it to do what I want.

You kind of missed the point of why for many it is very useful to do this. For a start you need to turn of the option where a user can select styles - so you don't have the problem you mentioned, then all forums must overide userset styles.

The reason I need it like this - and possibly quite a few others is a number of forums will be for different sports teams - therefore the styles should be fixed - It would look really dumb if a user could browse one teams forum in another teams colours and showing another teams logo. Similarly when you go to the 'search' page from teamX's forum it should also have the same color - it doesn't look brilliant suddenly going to a default and it would look even worse if it went to onther teams color.
              Hence there is a very good reason for needing 'fixed' styles and them being inherited by 'generic' areas.

Of course you loose out on the ability for users to select a style in there CP but personally for my situation this is a small price to pay.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

I have to admit I don't understand this conversation. I have no problem with Calendars and the various styles on my Forums.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kitchend
                  • Mar 2001

chilliboy has precisely the same scenario we're encountering, except with ours it's different record labels that need their styles carried over to the calendar...

ho hum, looks like this might be a messy hack then.

david k

Comment

• chilliboy
                    • Jun 2001

Its not really messy, its just that you won't have the option of letting users pick there own styles - which is exactly what you want - it would look plain stupid if a user could see the 'virgin label' forum with the logo and label of another record label. Why would you ever want that? Likewise with my position on sports teams.

Anyway follow my above code and you will get it to work - the only problem you will have is the index.php page will take on the look of the last set style - but its a simple hack to fix that. There's a thread below that I started asking how it could be done - haven't tried it yet but if that fails you could always stick

styleid = 1;

at the top of you index.php file to fix it.

This is not really much of a hack anyway as (apart from forcing index.php) everything is contained in your tempalates, so your not messing with source code.
                    Last edited by chilliboy; Wed 11 Jul '01, 11:08am.

Comment

• chilliboy
                      • Jun 2001

Here's the thread I mentioned:http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=22347

Comment

• indieeditor
                        • Jul 2001

Yes it worked! Thanks chilliboy

beggars forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...