X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoST
    • Oct 2000

Using GZIP crashes my browser

Hello,
    I'm using Internet Explorer 5.00.2920.0000 (the one that comes with W2K), Windows 2000 and vBulletin 2.0.1.

When I turn GZIP on, if I look at a few pages the browser directly crashes. If I turn GZIP off, there are no problems. The strange part is, there are lots of forums that use GZIP but don't crash my browser.

GZIP is something that I can't give up so I need help. What did I do wrong?

The url of my forum is: http://www.csmerkezi.com/forum

Thanks
  • jackie
    • Aug 2001

Yeah, this is a problem!

I was accessing my stuff at a cafe and IE was crashing like crazy. Thought it was my site but it was doing it for VB also. Turned off GZIP and my site was fine but VB kept crashing IE. Anyways, I use IE 5.5 at home and it's stable there but it's definitely crashing IE 5.0.

Comment

• The Prohacker
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

You should upgrade to IE 5.5 sp2, its actually very stable, they've finally gotten rid of many bugs that have been plauging it for months...

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

I believe there are known issues with gZIP and IE5.0. Not something that we can really do anything about. You could upgrade your browser or leave gZIP off.

Comment

• jackie
          • Aug 2001

I did more testing with this cos I didn't want to turn Gzip off. I narrowed it down to this:

IE 5.0 crashes with invalid page fault in URLMON with either gzip off or on. Seems like VB and IE 5.0 doesn't like foreign characters like "é" in the category or forum title. It doesn't always crash but when I removed these characters from my forum, it never crashed. Netscape and IE 5.01 and higher doesn't have this problems. Anyways, just to let you guys know.

Comment

• BieDdoS
            • May 2001
            • 3.6.x

i had the same problem....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...