X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobAC
    • Jan 2001
    • 3.8.x

HostRocket FTP Problems - Anyone Else?

I'm just curious, for those of you that have your sites hosted with HostRocket, what are you using for accessing the FTP server??? I have never had so many problems with FTPing to a server before and for some reason, their FTP servers are forever going down. Also, gui based FTP programs and HostRocket's FTP server are not very friendly with one another.

IglooFTP and CuteFTP will sometimes time out because they can't resolve the "host directory". WsFTP will always work, but I hate using WsFTP and I'm not fluent enough in Unix to connect and transfer files via a command line.

I've dealt with HostRocket's tech support on this issue ever since I've been hosted with them and they can't seem to find the problem. They suggested I reduce my site password from 9 to 8 digits. I did that, but this morning, I tried logging in and could only get in via a command line. One half hour later, I couldn't even access the site via a command line and as of right now, I still can't get in.

I love HostRocket and I really do NOT want to move my site, but I also can't continue on with unreliable FTP access. In the past, this has caused problems when right in the middle of upgrading the Forums where the connection was lost and only 1/2 the files uploaded (unknown to me) and after running the update script, my Forums failed.

So, am I the only one having FTP problems through HostRocket, or are there others?
    Rob
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I use Hostrocket too, but I don't even bother with FTP. I just SSH into the shell and do all my uploading, etc. from there.

By the way I think they had some minor connectivity problems earlier today. And you're right, they are a great host. Howerver using VDI as their NOC has hurt them sometimes.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• RobAC
      • Jan 2001
      • 3.8.x

I agree regarding VDI. I know that VDI installed a lot of new equipment not too long ago. I have a feeling, if they continue to experience the difficulties that they have in the past, HostRocket will definitely look elsewhere for connectivity.
      Rob

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Hostrocket said they would move if the problems continued. Although I have pointed out several problems (with verifying traceroutes) since the VDI 'upgrade', they still insist that things are moch better.

Right now I have another problem with Hostrocket though. They made changes to my domain that have completely knocked it off the web. My site is unreachable and all of my web and database files are missing. I sent a trouble ticket several hours ago but they haven't responded yet. I really like Hostrocket, but the lack of being able to call and talk to a living human being is very frustrating.

I made a big deal of the switch to vBulletin on my forums and now just five days after the switch my site is down. I know my members will blame the software no matter what I tell them. providing, of course, that I can get Hostrocket to restore my files andacces to my site!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• wert
          • Feb 2001

ftp

Cute ftp seems to consistently work for me on HR, but I have troubles uploading via dreamweaver 4 sometimes. Normally I ask them to reset the ftp daemon and it fixes it for a while...

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

My site has been down for at least three hours and there's been absolutely no response from Hostrocket. My faith is being tested minute-by-minute!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• RobAC
              • Jan 2001
              • 3.8.x

They restarted the FTP daemon a couple hours ago.
              Rob

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Hostrocket changed the DNS on my site which made it unreachable. In additon, all the files I worked so hard on are missing. To make matters worse, they haven't even responded to my trouble tickets, emails and long distance phone calls for mort than 9 hours.

Unless they have an awfully good reason for this lack of response, I'm going to have to conclude that they are not nearly as good as I had believed.

As it stands now - my site is down, my files are gone, I've wasted an entire day of my life, and Hostrocket has provided absolutely no support or answers.

I think I've been patient enough. Nine hours without a single answer is simply too long to wait. Needless to say, I'm not very happy right now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mjames
                  • Nov 2000
                  • 3.8.x

Nope, no FTP problems for me. I just uploaded a bunch of stuff earlier today. I use WS_FTP, also. The only FTP problems I did have was a week or two ago, Alabanza cut them off for some silly reason, but it was back shortly.
                  Marc James
                  Sports Central — Beyond the Scores
                  Sports Central Message Boards

Comment

• steven
                    • Jun 2000

Robac-
                    Brendan's AOL IM is rocketsupport

Comment

• JohnM
                      • May 2000

Works fine for me.

Comment

• Nicholas Brown
                        • Oct 2000
                        • 1.1.x

VDI has been much better since the upgrade...posibility that its their servers or rack?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...