X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CalmMan
    • Apr 2001

Twins?

Originally posted by TimberLand
    Can I prevent unregistered users from viewing one of my many boards. I want the most popular board to be seen and it's totals, but I don't want an unregistered user to view the posts. Maybe just the topics.

P.S. I just switch from UBB. WOW what a difference. Thanks for a great board.
    and what exactly the difference in terms of features? It looks like they're twins
  • klisis
    • May 2000

Re: Re: Prevent Viewing

Originally posted by CalmMan

and what exactly the difference in terms of features? It looks like they're twins
    Ohh my..

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

You have obviously not even looked at the board around you.

There are so many differences, it would be impossible to list them all. However, I've tried. See the link in my sig. It's new features in vB2.0, but most of them are absent from UBB6.

Comment

• CalmMan
        • Apr 2001

No need to be picky

First of all, I used quite extesnively both forums...

in your list there is no items which are noticable for the user from the user's expirience. Search? both have, Avatars, smiles, polls, custom profiles? both have... Styles.. I do not remember, but I assume that if they're not there in UBB they will in no time.

The reason why I've choosen vBulletin is because it is faster, much more secure and less buggy... Oh, forgot.. much cheaper with friendlier customer support

But I cannot find a single valueable feature which will distiquish this board from ubb.....

overally big cudos for this board for much better quality (and in terms of quality for a buck it is a winner hands down).

Still it would be nice if I could say "does your UBB provide this feature for the user" and know the answer would be "no ". So far I cannot. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

I have also used both products extensively. vB has:

1) Polls in threads
          2) Attachments
          3) Extensive vB Code/smilies quick input (much more extensive than UBB's implementation)
          4) Very simple to add smilies, icons, avatars
          5) Extensive implementation of PMs (frankly, UBB6's sucks)
          6) Much faster search (very noticeable to the user, especially on large boards)
          7) Calendar
          8) thread title editing
          9) Per-forum options (such as turning vBCode, HTML, [img] code, smilies on/off)
          10) Moderator's control panel
          11) Ability to be notified via email about new replies in a thread even if you are not the thread starter (and even if you have not participated in the thread) and easy-to-use management of subscribed threads
          12) Many more admin options
          13) Much easier to customize; no need to edit cryptic Perl files to customize the layout

none of which UBB6 has.

Comment

• CalmMan
            • Apr 2001

Kewl

thanks, I disagree on some items in your list but I've found some good (i.e. killer ) questions

Comment

• tubedogg
              • Feb 2001

Not to be antagonistic, but I'd be interested as to which you disagree with.

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

Re: No need to be picky

Avatars, smiles, polls, custom profiles
                Let me address these one at a time:

UBB6 does not have avatar support, AFAIK.

Smilies are in both, but are much easier for the admin to add more in vB.

Polls are also not available in UBB.

Custom profiles are available in both; however UBB limits the admin to 4 custom fields in that profile. vB allows unlimited custom profile fields. The only thing UBB has going for from this angle is you can make any of those 4 required or not required, which is on a to-do list for vB2.1 (no guarantees about this, I should say, before I get Freddie in here ).

Comment

• CalmMan
                  • Apr 2001

I dunno what version of UBB you're referring to but UBB 6.0x has everything I mentioned, polls included...

example:

take a look at the link next to "View Polls" under "Post new Topic" graphics.. and it is even 5.45

so there's no need to be picky
                  Last edited by CalmMan; Wed 2 May '01, 3:02pm.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Required or not required? You can set that option unless I am not getting what you mean here.
                    Field required?
                    Require field to be filled during registration

Comment

• Mike Sullivan
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Apr 2000
                      • 3.6.x

That's a hacked version. If you want to compare, here's the official UBB forums:

Comment

• TimberLand
                        • Feb 2001

Calm your explanation is all the difference anyone needs alone. Not to mention the support and the number of features tubb said. Look and style is way cleaner.

My board before importing from UBB used up 132mb. I am at 27mb now.

It goes on and on. Everyone has there view and that is fine. I am impartial as you can get, and after seeing my new vb in action there is no question of the differences in all area if you ask me.

Except my spell check is not working and I am getting a 404 when I get a notice in my email box that someone has posted a thread to a topic I started.
                        Dan Flynn
                        http://www.powerwashnetwork.com

Comment

• Martin
                          • Apr 2000
                          • 3.5.x

dan, that was my fault on the install. I fixed it and sent you an email telling you how
                          Webmaster:
                          @forumz

Comment

• CalmMan
                            • Apr 2001

first of all..

vBulletin rocks and I love it. I'm not an ambassador of UBB or something and I'm glad I've switched...

Of course everybody knows the size issue, security issue etc.. BUT, it is NOT visible to the user... They do not care basically...

Again, I would select this board over any other currently present any time

Ed, thx for clarification, though it does not make a lot of difference if it is hacked or not. And speaking of Polls - are you planning to add a multiple choices Polls? For example. We're selecting the ruling board of the clan which consist of 3 members....To have this option would be sweet. What do you think?

Comment

• TimberLand
                              • Feb 2001

See what I mean

Martin is like a angle on my shoulder. Thanks again Martin.

I know you like vb, just giving my opinion like you have. Also I forgot to mention, which Freddie just covered. That those are hacks not included and if you don't know how to install them you have to pay. And 9 out of 10 of those hacks are written by a yoyo and they cause more problems that benefits.

The bottom line. Can't compare other than a similar look. Also does matter who started it first, it's who finished with the best product and service.

Have a great day everyone. I am going to go play. Nice chatting with U all.

I thought UBB was the best when I purchased it. That is why I purchased. At the time it was compared to what I new of other boards. I had know idea of this one. Thank God I found it.
                              Dan Flynn
                              http://www.powerwashnetwork.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...