Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaxsdad
    • Dec 2000

Why should I go with Host Rocket?

I want to change my host, but I keep hearing about Host rocket...Why should I go with them? Pro's? Con's?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I am currently testing out HostRocket right now with my vB test board. So far they've been very good. Tech Support is extremely responsive - often responding to my questions within 15 minutes. Their Control Panel seems very nice, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. And they've got a lot of features for the price. Also their standard installation of PHP includes support for gzip (a very nice feature of vB 2.0.)

The only negative I've seen so far is that while browsing my test Board today I got a my SQL error message saying there were 'too many connections'. This is a slight concern because there were only three people browsing my Board at the time. Hopefully this was just a fluke. Only time will tell.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      • Jul 2000

Just a quick follow-up. I sent a note to HostRocket Tech Support about the 'too many connections' problem I was having, and within 15 minutes they wrote me back saying they doubled the amount of connections allowed on that box. This is excellent service by anyone's standards!

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Shoe
        • May 2000

I wrote everyone who had raved about them at host search--asking if they were still happy: 100 percent.

I didn't go with them because I found a better reseller plan and I want to resell eventually--but they are my second choice and I might give them a try anyway.

They're pretty cheap.
        "The best time to sleep is just before waking up."

--Shoebuddy Jones

Comment

• RobAC
          • Jan 2001
          • 3.8.x

I'm debating whether or not to go with HostRocket. In order to avoid issues regarding to many MySQL connections, do you need to tell them ahead of time that you'll be running a PHP/MySQL based forum software on their servers?

-Rob
          Rob

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

I didn't inform them of the PHP/mySQL thing before I ordered the service. However I did check them out thoroughly and they are very vBulletin friendly. In fact there own support forum uses vB.

You can read this forum to learn about the experience of other vBers.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• RobAC
              • Jan 2001
              • 3.8.x

I've been talking to them this morning about moving my site there and I mentioned that I"m running the vBulletin forums with a max load of 20 users on at a time in some instances.

This was their reply:

Hi,

A board with 20 users on at once is actually approaching the max size we allow for shared hosting accounts.. do you have any idea how big the databases for the board are?

-Brendan Brader
              HostRocket.Com

Those of you that are running vBulletin forums in excess of 100 users at a time, who are you using for a hosting company? Are you using dedicated servers?

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.

-Rob
              Last edited by RobAC; Wed 7 Mar '01, 10:02am.
              Rob

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Well, I seriously doubt a vB with 100 users online at a time will work with any shared host. A forum this large will almost definitely have to go to a dedicated or semi-dedicated server.

For $9.95/month, HostRocket is a great deal. However you really can't expect to a host at this price who'll handle a forum of that size. Good luck!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Martin
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 3.5.x

if you plan to have a board with 100 concurrent users at a time, you really need to think dedicated, or at least semi-dedicated.
                  This is not only true of vB, but of every other forum package out there, especially ones written in PERL with a flat file back end.
                  Webmaster:
                  @forumz

Comment

• VAN
                    • Feb 2001

Re: HostRocket.....

I have been using Hostway for all of my sites, and was damn pleased with their service. Recently, I decided to give HostRocket a shot as they were offering more space, more features, etc. for less money.

<opinion>
                    Well that was a mistake. After 14 days of HostRocket service I cancelled my account(s) and went back to Hostway.

Reasons? For starters, it took them 48 hours to provide me with my IP address so I could begin uploading files. Their online "live help" doesn't work. I submitted 10 trouble tickets my first week alone. Thier ticketing system allows people to select "low" "medium" or "high priority" issues. I always selected "high" because it was always a high priority to me. Well, apparantly high priority to them means "we'll email ya as soon as we get a chance....usually 2 or 3 days later."

Ok, once I got the IP and the files uploaded, I experienced massive troubles. I was getting a mass of broken images, 404 errors, page not found, etc. Refreshing the browser fixed most of these problems, but who wants to refresh each time they load a page?

I had had enough, so I emailed them about cancelling my account. Mind you, it was at about day 13 by now, and they only offer a 14 day money back guarantee. I had a bad feeling tha they were gonna not replky until the 14 days had passed and tell me that it was too late. Well, I was wrong. They did reply.....3 days later....and did tell me my card would be credited, though I have yet to see the money.

Bottom line....you get what you pay for. I have to fork over a little extra per month for PHP and mySQL support from Hostway, but in my eyes, it is well worth it.

Just my thoughts.

</opinion>

Shared web hosting & Dedicated server hosting for business and e-commerce clients. Personal/business web hosting, reseller web hosting, dedicated server hosting, collocation, and application web hosting capabilities. Hostrocket.com provides managed web hosting, shared web hosting solutions and dedicated server hosting for websites around the world.

Hostway helps small businesses with end-to-end web design services. From creating your website, securing your domain, managed hosting and email services, we’ve got you covered.

Comment

• wert
                      • Feb 2001

My experience...

I've been with hostrocket for several months. They did go through a major change over when they moved from alabanza to vdi. One of their 13 servers was also recently hacked. They moved me from that server and upgraded my account at no cost! That's decent customer service I think. I've had no problems *that weren't my fault* with thel loading of pages or using php and mySQL. I normally get ahold of them via aim and they've been very supportive and have solved many of my problems. I'm sorry you're experience was bad, but it definitely isn't bad for everyone.

Comment

• Jaxsdad
                        • Dec 2000

Thanks for the replies, guys...I think I will pass and stay with Hostway! I have been with them for about 3 years and they are more expensive, but they DO fix my problems when I have them...

Allen

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

VAN,

I don't doubt your experience with Hostrocket, but I have to say I didn't have any of the problems you described. As I mentioned earlier, they have almost always repsonded to my support tickets within 15 minutes. The longest it ever took (for a 'low' priority question) was about 6 hours.

In short, Hostrocket has been great for me so far. And I only deciced to give them a try after reading many glowing reviews from other satisfied customers so I'm sure my experience is more the norm than what you described. It sounds like you may have tried them at a very bad time.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• VAN
                            • Feb 2001

I may give them another shot in a few months. The main reason I tried them was for their mySQL and PHP support combined with an awesome user control panel for resold domains.

I'm sorry it didn't work out either, but like I said....perhaps I'll give them another whirl down the road a bit.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

VAN,

What does 'resold domains' mean?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...