Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Hairy Jimbo
    • Aug 2001

Error in User.PHP line 1191

I'm running VB 2.03 on win2k server and I experience the attached image error whenever I validate new users via the admin control panel. It doesn't seem to cause any problems that I'm aware of, nevertheless, I am concerned. Anyone got a fix or an explanation? Also, are there any freeware PHP editors anyone would recommend? (I've got no idea what is on line 1191 that causes the error)
  • JamesUS
    • Aug 2000

That particular error usually indicates an email problem, where the email has failed for some reason.

Does your copy of vB normally send mail correctly?

Comment

• Big Hairy Jimbo
      • Aug 2001

Still having a problem.

Thanks James, well it used to send emails beautifully under version 2.0.1 However since I went to version 2.0.3 I get errors whenever it tries to Email someone. And yes, there does seem to be an email problem. My users are not getting emails from the system. I however, am getting emails. Any ideas. I believe my PHP.INI file is setup appropriately, ie it has the right IP address of my SMTP server.

Comment

• Big Hairy Jimbo
        • Aug 2001

Ahhhh FIXED The Email Problem

After browsing this board, I eventually found all the bits of information I needed to solve the problem. Thus I thought I would repeat it here for anyone else who has the same problem.
        Just to repeat, the problem was that my board would send emails to myself, but not to anyone else. The board, and CP would generate an error whenever it tried to email someone, but not when it emailed myself. I am running vb 2.0.3 on a win2k server, with IIS5. My PHP.INI file (found under c:\winnt) had an SMTP IP address pointing at my SMTP server. Thus I could receive Emails, along with anyone within my company, however email addresses external to my company were not working. Now after reading the posts on
        VBULLETIN COMMUNITY FORUM>VBULLETIN 2.0>VBULLETIN 2.0 TROUBLESHOOTING AND PROBLEMS> EMAIL ISSUES I started to have a clue. To test my Email, I did like the posts suggested. I located the file MAILTEST.PHP which I could only find within the original ZIP file I downloaded from vbulletin. I copied this file to the root of web site on my server. I then used a workstation and typed in the name of my site, followed by /mailtest.php.
        ie www.mysite.com/mailtest.php. A screen appeared (with a warning about an undefined variable, which I ignored), so I tested it. I typed in my own email address and clicked SEND EMAIL, it worked OK. I then typed in my hotmail address, however this time, it came up with an error, and I didn't receive any email. Thus I could now test the system without having to use the CP all the time. Anyway, the guts of how to fix the problem was within the post by DAMICATZ, who said he too had the problem but had figured it out. Well I thought that post described about 85% of the fix, but not enough to get mine actually working, but it did lead me down the right garden path. Anyway, what DAMICATZ said was,

1a) Go to the start menu, go to settings, and select control panel. then once you are in the control panel, double click on Administrative tools.
        1b) Double click on Internet Services Manager
        2) Go to Default SMTP VIRTUAL SERVER, right click on it, and select properties.
        3) Click the ACCESS tab, and then click the relay button.

Now I will deviate from DAMICATZ here, as he described a solution which would leave your server vulnerable for hackers to use your email service for spamming. So ensure the ONLY THE LIST BELOW option is selected, now click ADD, then type in 127.0.0.1 and click OK. Now I repeated this process and ADDED the actuall IP address of my server as well, although the important one, to make it all work was the 127.0.0.1 part.
        Next I closed off all those windows, however left the Internet Services Manager open. At the top of the left window pane, it says INTERNET INFORMATION SERVICES, then under this was a picture of a computer, and the name of my server next to it. I right clicked on the server name and went to properties. Now click the SERVER EXTENTIONS tab. In the middle of the screen it should say OPTIONS, SPECIFY HOW MAIL SHOULD BE SENT, click SETTINGS. Where it says WEB SERVERS MAIL ADDRESS, I just put in the word WEBMASTER, then it asked for CONTACT ADDRESS, so I put in my webmasters full email address. Then for SMTP MAIL SERVER, I put in localhost, THEN CLICK ok. This should now be the default for all your web sites on this server. All I had to do next, was to edit my PHP.INI file (under c:\winnt), and edit the SMTP section to point at LOCALHOST, ie

[mail function]
        ; For Win32 only.
        SMTP = localhost ; for Win32 only

And bingo, whenever I tried using MAILTEST.PHP now, it worked fine, without causing the error when I clicked SEND EMAIL. I setup a user on my system, with my hotmail email address, and used the CP to send them their PASSWORD details, and sure enough, within a few minutes the email was waiting at my hotmail address.

So essentially I stopped using the SMTP server (with vb) I already had setup (being used by a novell server), and just used the DEFAULT SMTP VIRTUAL SERVER, which is part of IIS5 on Win2k Server.

Anyway, big THANKS to DAMICATZ, who worked out about %80 of this solution. (Sorry for the big post, I just thought some users might appreciate the detail)

Comment

• Kheldar
          • Nov 2001

fixed one of my problems using this - thanx
          Andrew Johns

Applications Administration
          Information Services
          Bendigo Health Care Group
          7812717271ed

URL : intranet
          PHP : 4.0.5
          Mysql: 3.23.32
          Vbulletin : 2.2.3
          win2k, IIS5

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...