MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjav8r

MAJOR SECURITY ISSUE!!!

I have been informed by a user that he was able to access the Admin functions on my board going to a post and was able to get into open/close and delete a thread.

Admin Options:
    Open / Close Thread
    Delete Thread

To confirm - I signed up as a registered user on my own board and sure enough it is possible - did I not sign permissions correctly or something?

I'm closing my board down until I find out - PLEASE RESPOND SOON - ANYONE

p.s.
    - the user was an ordinary user - not a moderator and so was the test account I created.

[Edited by rjav8r on 05-27-2000 at 03:35 PM]
  • rjav8r

This must be on my end

I tried changing the permissions from the Control panel for registered users and get the following message:

Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function adslashes() in /usr/home/a0004317/html/coexboard/admin/usergroup.php on line 84

Then I tried changing any permission and cannot change any of them. Help

Comment

• rjav8r

here's line 84 i think

echo doformfooter();

Comment

• wandrer
        • Apr 2000

change 'adslashes()' to 'addslashes()'

Comment

• rjav8r

Okay I did a search in usergroups.php and found adslashes instead of addslashes - I corrected it and no loger get the Fatal Error.

[b]HOWEVER[/b] - I still have the same problem of the permissions not being recognized. The ones in question are for Usergroup id#2 - Registered users.

The funny thing is all the other permissions work - except for the registered group - I didn't delete the original record in the database either.

Here's the config I would like to have:

Can View Board Yes
          Can Search Yes
          Can Use 'email to friend' feature Yes
          Can Post New Threads Yes
          Can Reply Yes
          Can Do Admin Edits
          (this includes editing any post, editing thread title and notes, opening and closing any thread) No
          Can Can Edit Own Posts Yes
          Can Delete Own Posts and Threads Yes
          Can Open / Close own threads Yes
          Can Move threads to other forums No
          Can Access Control Panel No

Unfortunately - these 2 options:

[b]Can Delete Own Posts and Threads Yes
          Can Open / Close own threads Yes[/b]

don't seem to be recognized even when I input the changes correctly and the control panel now accepts them.

Selecting Open/Close or Delete from the admin showthreds.php menu simply asks for a user id and password and lets anyone in.

They work when I change the options to NO but not YES. The funny thing is - every other permission in the menu works BUT those 2. Help Please.

[Edited by rjav8r on 05-27-2000 at 10:39 PM]

Comment

• rjav8r

Just thought I'd mention also - I can do the same thing on the admin demo on this site as a regular user.

Comment

• Brian
              • Apr 2000

A temp fix for this is to turn of the ability to allow users to edit messages.

-Brian
              << This Space Intentionally Left Blank >>

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...