wwwthreads(ubbthreads) vs. vbulletin- can you help me compare?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amity
    • Feb 2002
    • 4.2.X

wwwthreads(ubbthreads) vs. vbulletin- can you help me compare?

ok, i am currently running wwwthreads on my site- a very large site that receives about 3.8 million+ views per month.

i am having a little database glitch- sometimes posts don't open when i have a large amount of users accessing the boards and posting at the same time. i would prefer not to get an upgrade, i don't think i want to deal with ubb/infopop. my biggest question is how does vbulletin compare with bandwidth usage as compared to wwwthreadsphp?

i like what i see with vb thus far- i wish you great success.

blessings,
    amity
  • ubbuser
    • Jan 2002

Hi I am an ex-Infopop customer too

What is your average concurrent number of users on your forums? What has the maximum concurrent number been? How many registered users does your forum have

In terms of bandwidth usage I think It depends how many features you have enabled on your forum (attachments?), image files on your forums, whether you are using page compression, # of pageviews.

VBulletin supports page compression via PHP (gzip has to be compiled into PHP) or an Apache module mod_gzip. You should see compression (page size saving) of about 30-40% if you use the Apache module. I haven't used the PHP option and I am sure other users could tell you about it too.

Latest version of vBulletin is 2.2.2.

By the way notice that vB is substantially cheaper than Ubbthreads for the same feature sets and capabilities, more or less.
    Last edited by ubbuser; Sun 24 Feb '02, 11:00am.

Comment

• nuno
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

hi amity and welcome
      and you should be having no problem, since wwwhtreads import script has already been released by Jelsoft

You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• tubedogg
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by ubbuser
        By the way notice that vB is substantially cheaper than Ubbthreads for the same feature sets and capabilities, more or less.
        Um...I would disagree with that but whatever.

Comment

• ubbuser
          • Jan 2002

Hmm, so what do you mean? Ubbthreads has less number of features or more?

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

Less by a long shot. Maybe to the end-user they are the same but the backend is not as advanced as ours IMHO.

Comment

• Lurker
              • Feb 2002

Could you elaborate on that? We're in the process of deciding between UBBThreads and vB and the only thing we've got to go on is something about UBBThreads using the server more efficiently...?

Comment

• amity
                • Feb 2002
                • 4.2.X

thanks everyone! here is more information:

the forums get about 3.8-4 million hits per month. we have about 2100 registered users, but have 7000 individual users per week.

the database starts skipping posts when there are 80+ users on at the same time.

i don't host my own site, so i will pass all of the hosting info on.

if anyone else has more info, i would appreciate it! one thing i really look forward to is support- and the hacks seem awesome, which is something that i think ubb doesn't have... the ability for a user to share their updates for the betterment of the script.

blessings,
                amity

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...