X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjcnlv
    • Feb 2002

Converting a Massive wwwthreads BBS

We run the BBS at http://bbs.off-road.com

We have over 500k messages in the database and about 10k active users (post within the last 14 days).

The system presently runs under perl on a dual p3 500 with
    1gb of RAM and VA Linux OS.

Questions for you.

1) How long will it take your conversion script to work through what we have?
    2) Will the conversion script keep track of attachments?
    3) Will the conversion handle active URL's embeded in message sproperly?
    3) Will our server be adequate?
    4) Will the database expand appericably or will it reamain the same as under wwwthreads?
    5) Are you planning "mail list integration" in the near future?

Thanks much!
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

1) I don't know.
    2) I believe so.
    3) Yes. (re: urls)
    3) I can't answer that without knowing how many concurrent users you get and about how many posts per day you receive (as to server adequacy).
    4) I don't know.
    5) What exactly do you mean by this? You can send mail to all registered users based on several criteria, or you can generate a list of emails (again, by several criteria) for use in a third-party email program.

Comment

• pjcnlv
      • Feb 2002

-Someone must have clues on conversion times...
      -Same on attachments.. Anyone with expereince here?
      -I'd say we can have upwards of a 100 concurrent users on-line at peak times.
      -Peak of 400 new messages per day.
      -Mail List Integration - Where people can post and receive forum messages via email

Thanks much!

Originally posted by tubedogg
      1) I don't know.
      2) I believe so.
      3) Yes. (re: urls)
      3) I can't answer that without knowing how many concurrent users you get and about how many posts per day you receive (as to server adequacy).
      4) I don't know.
      5) What exactly do you mean by this? You can send mail to all registered users based on several criteria, or you can generate a list of emails (again, by several criteria) for use in a third-party email program.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • May 2000
        • 1.1.x

We haven't had many www(ubb)threads conversions yet so we don't have any concrete answers. I have asked John to come respond to your queries as he wrote the importer and would best know the answers.

Comment

• pjcnlv
          • Feb 2002

Thanks much!

Originally posted by freddie
          We haven't had many www(ubb)threads conversions yet so we don't have any concrete answers. I have asked John to come respond to your queries as he wrote the importer and would best know the answers.

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

-I'd say we can have upwards of a 100 concurrent users on-line at peak times.
            -Peak of 400 new messages per day.
            Your server should definitely be able to handle it; if you start experiencing problems make sure you visit the MySQL and Server Config forums for help with optimizing your server's settings.
            -Mail List Integration - Where people can post and receive forum messages via email
            This is on the slate for 'eventually' but it will most likely not be in v3.

Comment

• John
              • Apr 2000

As for conversion time, I am not sure exactly, as I never tested with an import of that size. I would guess that for that many posts you probably want to leave a few hours for the conversion of posts and data.

As for attachments: UBBThreads stores attachments on the web server's disk, if I remember correctly. When the posts are imported, a link is created on the end of the post to the file on the web server. So they will not be imported as native vBulletin attachments, but the post will still link to the attachment.

Hope this helps!

John
              John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...