• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildWayz
    • May 2000
    • 3.6.x

Comparisons between UBBThreads, UBB and vBulletin

Hi ya

I know.. I have a few licenses for vBulletin but I have a friend who is considering going down the UBBThreads route. I know next to nothing about that software so was hoping someone would have like a comparison chart to convince him that he is making a mistake.

James
  • Joe Gronlund
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.8.x

just show him this board, he will change his mind to vB
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• nuno
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

UBBThreads belongs to IP rite?
      enough said
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by nuno
        UBBThreads belongs to IP rite?
        enough said
        yes , and they have gone downhill at a very fast rate.
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Skeptical
          • Oct 2000

[edit]
          Taking it out 'cause IP bashing ain't necessary to put ubbthreads to shame.
          [/edit]
          Last edited by Skeptical; Tue 22 Jan '02, 2:13am.
          Well, there it is.
          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• John
            • Apr 2000

How about we stick to comparing the various pieces of software's technical merits? I think that we will have plenty of ammo there without having to descend to Infopop bashing.

Thanks,
            John
            John Percival

Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity ;)

Comment

• Skeptical
              • Oct 2000

Originally posted by John
              How about we stick to comparing the various pieces of software's technical merits? I think that we will have plenty of ammo there without having to descend to Infopop bashing.

Thanks,
              John
              I agree John. Coding superiority alone will kill all competition. Had to bring that up 'cause I don't know a damn thing about ubbthreads but do know about the company that owns it.
              Well, there it is.
              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

• Thomas P
                • Apr 2001

Okay, I'm a bit OT now, but have you seen phpBB 2?
                This soft may deserves a comparison to vB imho, ubbthreads is ... ugly
                cu,
                -Tom
                www.MCSEboard.de
                German Windows Server & IT Pro Community dedicated to Windows Client & Server Systems. MVPs inside

Comment

• AWS
                  • Apr 2000
                  • 5.2.x

I used wwwthreads now ubbthreads for 3 years and just switched to vbulletin. The perl version which no longer is supported since infopop took over was the finest and best coded forum package of its time. Scream is an excellent programmer, however, his php skills are still lacking. UBBThreads has a long way to go to catch up to vbulletin. There are many bugs that never seem to get fixed. Each time i upgraded I had to fix the same bugs. There is a bug in the time function, file upload doesn't work on Windows, there is something screwy with his database layer that led to my database being corupted beyond repair. I was lucky to have just imported into vbulletin so I didn't lose many posts when it happened.

I really like vbulletin. There are many more features. The only thing my users miss is the new post number that was displayed below the post count on the index. I'm sure I could add this and will in time. So far that is the only complaint I get.

The thing I don't like about vbulletin is the attachments are saved in the db. My site gets a large amount of source code attached to posts. This is making my db twice the size as with ubbthreads. Again this is something I could change and probably will when I get the time.

Would I ever go to another forum package again? No and I've used all the majors. Vbulletin is by far and away the best.

I'm not knocking ubbthreads. Threads someday will reach the level that the perl forum was once at, but I don't think it will ever surpass vbulletin.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• nuno
                    • Apr 2001
                    • 3.8.x

hey AWS
                    check out vbulletin.org » Full Releases » Beta Hacks
                    You're my Prince of Peace
                    And I will live my life for You

Comment

• krs-one
                      • Jun 2001

phpBB2 is a very nice free forum. Probably the nicest free forum out there.

There are several things I would like to see changed in it before its final release, but I don't think they will happen.

However, for it being a free forum, the guys who wrote it deserve a lot of props for their hard work and nice design (no one can deny that the default phpBB2 template is nicer than vB's)

-Vic

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...