X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearchanel
    • May 2001
    • 3.8.x

viewing passwords 2.20

I can no longer view passwords via the members profile in the control panel by editing the config.php on VB 2.20 Is there a work around for this.

Thanks
  • Kaizen
    • Aug 2001

MD5 encrytion was used in 2.2.0 to increase security on passwords.

I don't know if there is a easy way around this but if you have a a MD5 decrytor you could get the code from phpMyaDMIN and decrypt it.

Thats the only thing i could think off. Someone else is bound to know.
    Email: [email protected]
    Site: Under Construction

Comment

• thewitt
      • Mar 2001
      • 3.0.0 Gamma

The MD5 hash is one way. The passwords cannot be decrypted.

-t
      Tim Hewitt
      myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
      myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

• Chen
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Kaizen
        I don't know if there is a easy way around this but if you have a a MD5 decrytor you could get the code from phpMyaDMIN and decrypt it.
        Actually Kaizen there is no MD5 decoder as MD5 isn't really an encryptions... so there's no way back from MD5ed value to the original value.
        Chen Avinadav
        Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• SFishy
          • Jun 2001

This is a HUGE downside if there is no work-around. It is often one of the ONLY ways to be sure that a member has duplicate registrations (especially with AOL users). If I don't know what the password is, how can I possibly do a search on it. As a matter of fact, searching by password doesn't even work. No matter what you put in the field, it returns ALL your users.

Any thoughts on this at all???

Comment

• Chen
            • Jun 2001

Before this release a lot of users have complaine about passwords being stored in the database without any encryption whatsoever.
            So for security's sake, we added the securest 'encryption' there can be - one way hashing.

As for searching by password, I believe that is a left over from earlier releases that should have been removed from version 2.2.0.
            We'll make sure this will be removed from the next release.
            Chen Avinadav
            Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• SFishy
              • Jun 2001

I'm not saying that encryption is a bad thing at all. What I'm saying is that not being able to see the user's password as an Admin is a huge downside. If a user can have their password e-mailed to them, an admin should be able to retreive that password just as easily. With ISPs like AOL who make it real easy for people to have five e-mail addresses, and that there are always members who insist on abusing any BB by having multiple logins, every little way to track them down is helpful. At the very least there should be an option to "email admin the password".

Comment

• Kaizen
                • Aug 2001

Originally posted by FireFly

Actually Kaizen there is no MD5 decoder as MD5 isn't really an encryptions... so there's no way back from MD5ed value to the original value.
                I shouldn't really have mentioned it and I dont want to go into anymore detail but there is a way. I admit u can't go to a site and download a decrytor but there are ways.

Also: If this is the case, how do u recover your password or can't you?

Do you see what i mean?
                Last edited by Kaizen; Sun 4 Nov '01, 8:53am.

Comment

• Raz Meister
                  • Jun 2001

You can check if someone has the same password by just comparing the encrypted password.
                  Thats 'cos the same password will ALWAYS produce the same hash key
                  Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• thewitt
                    • Mar 2001
                    • 3.0.0 Gamma

Originally posted by SFishy
                    I'm not saying that encryption is a bad thing at all. What I'm saying is that not being able to see the user's password as an Admin is a huge downside. If a user can have their password e-mailed to them, an admin should be able to retreive that password just as easily. [clip]
                    The users can no longer have their passwords emailed to them. vBulletin does not know the users plain text password any longer - which is exactly as it should be. My password is no one's business but mine.

-t
                    Tim Hewitt
                    myOstrich Internet - Domain Management & Internet Services
                    myOstrich Golf - When it comes to golf, we don't have our heads in the sand.

Comment

• JamesUS
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Kaizen

I shouldn't really have mentioned it and I dont want to go into anymore detail but there is a way. I admit u can't go to a site and download a decrytor but there are ways.

Also: If this is the case, how do u recover your password or can't you?

Do you see what i mean?
                      There is no way to decrypt an md5 hash....

When a user forgets their password, they are issued with a new one - as there is no way at all to recover their old one.

As Razzie pointed out, you can still compare user's passwords, and you can still find users with a certain password (Though this functionality may not be working properly in 2.2.0).

Comment

• SFishy
                        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Razzie
                        You can check if someone has the same password by just comparing the encrypted password.
                        Thats 'cos the same password will ALWAYS produce the same hash key
                        Can you please tell me how? How do I even get their encrypted password?

Comment

• Kaizen
                          • Aug 2001

Originally posted by SFishy

Can you please tell me how? How do I even get their encrypted password?
                          Its in the mysql databse and u can view it through phpMyAdmin. Goto the table : user and click browse.

Comment

• Raz Meister
                            • Jun 2001

Either use PHPMyAdmin or use telnet/SSH and execute the following query:

SELECT password FROM user WHERE userid=X;

Replace X with the userid.
                            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• davidm
                              • Sep 2001

Admin access

I for one, am very sorry to have totally lost the facility to obtain a user's password. I think, if I had realised this I would have thouhgt twice about the upgrade. Whilst I would never wish to pry into users' control panels it was reassuring to know that I could do so in an emergency. I suppose if necessary I could email myself a new password (by changing the email address of that user) to log in as that member but it would be very heavy handed route.

david M

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...