X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgowder
    • Mar 2001

Webhostingtalk.com template

Does anyone have a template to get the look of the webhostingtalk.com?

I like the things on the site.

thanks
    PowWows.com
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That is a nice layout, but you really should ask them for it.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• fredzepplin
      • Oct 2001

Well; In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt if vBulletin put a few templates for those that purchased their product could use. It's simple to say that it's the default template and all, but I just bought a year of the board for $85 US and it is basic in it's option for customization. Hell I've seen better on most beta boards that are free.

How do I get my money back here? Does anyone know the answer to this? I would rather use someones beta board for free that has a strong user support then pay for this one and get a very basic template that comes with it.

I would like my money back.

JT

Comment

• TheComputerGuy
        • Apr 2001

well I think te default template is personally nice myself, why should they make your sie look good for free....why should they give you your money back after a year of using the board...I mean come on thats outrageous...

Comment

• fredzepplin
          • Oct 2001

I haven't had the board for a year. I just ordered it a couple of days back. Sorry but their site does give the impression that there is more to the board then there is.

This is not a discussion forum for improvement of a board. All I see are posts telling people to put their ID in. I've seen beta boards by others that actually have on going support, users helping users, not here though.

I'll take it up with Jelsoft, as their product is not worth the money in my opinion.

Comment

• Sinecure
            • Jul 2001

vbulletin is the best thing since sliced bread. Its limit from customization never ends. It doesn't take much pearing around to get your board up to par I personally like the default template.

In my opinion vb is totally worth the money. I would buy it even it if it was 125 or so..
            Board of the Month: November
            Websites: Pixeljunction , vBulletin.org
            Button Sets: XP and Aqua Button sets! FREE!
            vB Customization: My sig is now vbulletin compliant. Contact me to make yours compliant too!

Comment

• fredzepplin
              • Oct 2001

Anyone can have an opinion. That doesn't mean the product is worth the money. If you are paying for a product, you would expect that you would get much more then what most of the free betas out there are offering. Just read your own signature. You want $100 bucks for a customized board. How could you have found this niche market without vBulletin producing a product that in my opinion is half done?

I'm not going to sit my ass down and spend 20 or 40 hours creating templates for a forum because the designers of this one were to cheap to do so, or in a rush to get a half done product on the market so they could start charging for it.

They also talk about support. Well I've written them at least 3 times now over 3 days and have never received a reply. I run a web business. I couldn't do business this way, and I'm sure not going to be treated this way either.
              Last edited by fredzepplin; Tue 16 Oct '01, 8:08am.

Comment

• Chen
                • Jun 2001

I understand you also want your board costumized and fitted to your site along with the product itself?

Jelsoft isn't a graphics company.
                It doesn't sell designs, it sells a software, vBulletin for this matter.

It can't possibly prepare all boards for each license so they'll look nice.

The default templates have everything - in one scheme.
                If you don't like it, that's your problem.
                You don't pay for a good looking design, you are paying for the software, and the software only.

"in a rush"? vBulletin has been around for about a year and a half now. In case you didn't know...

And how is it a "half done product"?
                Chen Avinadav
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• fredzepplin
                  • Oct 2001

Do you work for vBulletin????????

If not why answer on this thread? There are graphics involved in building this board to begin with if you didn't notice. There are no optional templates in the product to use other than the default one. There are no avatars, nothing. It's a half done product. Like I said earlier.

One and a half years. Wow. I've been running sites since 1994 now. I also sell products and have for longer than this product has been around. I answer the e-mails that are sent to me, and furnish my customers with exactly the product they are looking for. I've had about 3 complaints in the past year and refunded money on those. That's on about 1,500 orders.

Just because you like their product doesn't mean it fits everyone elses standards. I expected more than what I got for the money, and will let the credit card company take the action now to get my money back.

The part that pisses me off more however is that not one e-mail sent to Jelsoft was replied too. If your a business then act like businessmen. The net has a way of weeding those out that run their business like a couple of high school kids would.

Comment

• Chen
                    • Jun 2001

Must I work for Jelsoft to defend them?
                    And why did you "answer on this thread" anyway?

They didn't deceive you in any way.
                    They didn't promise dozens of style sets to choose from.
                    They didn't promise you avatars.
                    It's not a half done product because the product isn't avatars, or buttons, or styles. The product is a forum software called vBulletin - and that's all.

One and a half years mean no one is in rush.
                    That argument would have been valid if vBulletin was invented yesterday, but that's not true.
                    The product isn't "half done" coding wise.

If you want a great design, have a company or anyone else do it for you.
                    If you want a great (IMO) forum, buy vBulletin.

If you have anything to say about the software itself, I'm all ears.
                    But you can't blame them for the "lousiness" of the style, because that's not what you paid for.
                    Chen Avinadav
                    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

• orca
                      • Mar 2001
                      • 5.5.x

Well, so Jelsoft needs to fit it's bulletin board to every customers' site? Can you tell me how? That would mean a lot of more work and guess what? It would even cost more.
                      If you look around for other bulletin boards, then most of them come in a standard design and have NO other designs. Those made were by users of the board. I used to have UBB which also only had a default look.
                      UB2K was a bit better to customize but also there, all designs came from users. Ditto with Ikonboard. So there's no reason why Jelsoft should be doing this to be good. Tweaking with templates is actually not more than HTML work, the same you'd do with your site. Except that there are some variables inside.
                      Ueli

Comment

• The Realist
                        • Jul 2001
                        • 4.0.x

Personally, I think you are talking out of the hole in your ass. When you purchase vBulletin, you are purchasing software to run a forum and also the right to modify the look of that software to you own needs.

Therefore:

You are ONLY purchasing a piece of code designed by vBulletin and nothing else. Its great, simple to use, customizable to all users needs and worth every bit of my $160 dollars I paid for it.

If you don't like it, then you should of had a look at the vBulletin light before purchase and this would of saved you loads of money.

"My opinion only!"

Originally posted by fredzepplin
                        Well; In my opinion, it wouldn't hurt if vBulletin put a few templates for those that purchased their product could use. It's simple to say that it's the default template and all, but I just bought a year of the board for $85 US and it is basic in it's option for customization. Hell I've seen better on most beta boards that are free.

How do I get my money back here? Does anyone know the answer to this? I would rather use someones beta board for free that has a strong user support then pay for this one and get a very basic template that comes with it.

I would like my money back.

JT

Comment

• fredzepplin
                          • Oct 2001

I think you both need to read the thread properly. Firefly you don't work for Jelsoft, also now you've got another poster confussed. Orca seems to think this thread is about Jelsoft needing to fit their board to every customers site.

First off I never stated that statement. I said and will say again that the product is basic in its design features. The support from Jelsoft has been less than acceptable, as they have never replied to one of my e-mails to them. These are the facts.

Comment

• Chen
                            • Jun 2001

If you seek official support you should use the ticket system and not just e-mail Jelsoft.
                            Have you wondered how many support requests they would have gotten?

If you don't like the default design it's fine by me.
                            But you can't claim vBulletin is a half done product because it looks ugly (according to you).
                            The software works, and that's what important.

Don't forget you always had this forum in front of your eyes.
                            Chen Avinadav

Comment

• pgowder
                              • Mar 2001

You're exactly right, there are no other styles, no avatars, only a few smilies. It is just the basic shell.

But...

That allows you to add the styles from your website. I've been using UBB, and it is difficult to format their forum look to fit into your exsisitng desing. With vBulletin, I have been able to use my exisint ssi files, and in an instant the board looks just like my other pages.

Also, for avatars and smilies, I looked around on google for about 5 minutes and found thousands, even some that matched my theme!

Love the product!
                              PowWows.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...