Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tubedogg
    • Feb 2001

[RELEASE v2] Last XX Posts on non-vB page

UPDATED! Not a new version number, but a bug fix.
    Fixed another bug with using forum titles and included forums.
    New update: *Actually* fixed the bug with the forums this time.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's my best work to date (if I do say so myself ) and I think you'll like it and like all the configuration you can do.

This image shows the script with all of the columns on, and parsing [code], smilies, and the post icon, as well as showing the forum title before the thread title.

This image shows the script with all the columns off except $lastpostdate, and the $tw (table width) set to 600, and $showdate set to 0 (to just show the last post time).

This image shows the same as #2, except $tw is blank (allowing the table to compact and remove the empty space automatically).

Hack version: 1.0.1

Changes since version 1.0.0: Fixed small bug.

Changes since version 0.1.0: Parses [ b], [ i], [ u], [ code], and [ quote] within the "last post". Displays the icon of the post, or the thread if there is no post icon. Parses smilies. New option to convert new lines to <br> so the post appears as the author wrote it (note: may cause problems if there are large breaks in posts).

Changes since version 0.0.2: New option to show the text of the last post of a thread (also option to limit the number of characters of the post displayed). New option to set the table width, as a percent, a number of pixels, or just let the table size naturally. New option to show just the time of the last post, instead of the date *and* the time. New option to show a thin line around the cells (cell spacing).

Changes since version 0.0.1: Include only specific forums, or set to allow all forums except certain excluded forums. New option to display a "Last post date" column with the last post date and time, formatted with your board's date & time setting. Fixed a bug with font and font size. Split the config into a separate file to make editing easier.

For version: v2 betas 3, 4, 5, RC1, RC2.

Files needed: last10.php, last10config.php (see attached zip file).

Files to edit: last10config.php (see attached zip file).

Possible file locations: Anywhere, as long as the relative path to config.php and the URL to your board are correct. Also, you must put last10.php and last10config.php in the same directory!

Instructions
    1] Unzip the files last10.php and last10config.php to your hard drive.
    2] Open last10config.php in an ASCII text editor, such as Notepad (Windows), SimpleText (Mac), EditPlus, UltraEdit, TextPad, etc. (DO NOT use WYSIWYG HTML editors such as FrontPage, HotDog, DreamWeaver, etc. They will in all likelyhood screw up the file! I will not be able to support you if you edit the file in one of these programs.)
    3] Edit the variables at the top. These are:
    1. $path > path to your config.php file (usually in the /admin directory) - NO TRAILING SLASH! and DO NOT PUT config.php at the end of it! ( e.g. forums/admin )
    2. $url > URL to your board - NO TRAILING SLASH! ( e.g. http://www.mysite.com/forums )
    3. $urlimg > URL to your board's images - NO TRAILING SLASH ( e.g. http://www.mysite.com/forums/images ).
    4. $maxthreads > max threads to show. will show less if $last24 or $last7 limits it to less results than this number
    5. $ob > determines the sort order of the list. replycount and views are numbers, lastposter is a name, title is the name of the thread, and lastpost is the last posts' date. set to one of the following: replycount , views , lastposter , title , lastpost (lastpost is most popular. it's the thread most recently replied to, then the second-to-last most recent, etc.)
    6. $obdir > set to "desc" or "asc". which direction to sort? "desc" goes from bottom to top (9 to 1, z to a, etc.). "asc" goes top to bottom (1 to 9, a to z, etc.)
    7. $last24 > set to 1 to limit the possible results to the last 24 hours; 0 for no limit (must set this to 0 if $last7 is set to 1)
    8. $last7 > set to 1 to limit the possible results to the last 7 days; 0 for no limit (must set this to 0 if $last24 is set to 1)
    9. $bc1 > first alt color (for the alternating colored rows)
    10. $bc2 > second alt color
    11. $hc > head background color (title, last poster, etc.)
    12. $lc > text link color
    13. $tc > text color
    14. $f > font face
    15. $fs > font size in points. 6 is on the small side, 10 on the large side. Put only a number in this - no "pt", "pts", or anything else!
    16. $lastposter > show the "last poster" column? 1 = yes; 0 = no
    17. $views > show the view count for each thread? 1 = yes; 0 = no
    18. $replies > show the reply count for each thread? 1 = yes; 0 = no
    19. $lastpostdate > show the last post date and time for each thread? 1 = yes; 0 = no
    20. $len > maximum number of characters of the title to show. e.g. if the title is 60 characters and this is set to 25, only the first 25 characters of the title will be shown (followed by ...)
    21. $excludeforums > List certain forums to be excluded. Best used if you have a large number of forums you *do* want included and only a few that you want excluded. List them separated by commas, but without spaces - e.g. 1,2,3,4 - and DO NOT fill in both this and $includeforums! Use one or the other.
    22. $includeforums > List certain forums to be included. Best used if you have a small number of forums that you want included and a large number you want excluded. List them separated by commas, but without spaces - e.g. 1,2,3,4 - and DO NOT fill in both this and $excludeforums! Use one or the other.
    23. $showmessages > If you want to show the last post of the thread as well, set this to 1. You can limit the number of characters displayed in $lplen below.
    24. $lplen > If you specify a number here, any post that has more than $lplen number of characters will be reduced to this number and "..." added to the end of it. If you don't want to use this feature, leave it blank e.g. "" - remember though that if $showmessages is set to 0, this won't do anything.
    25. $tw > If you want to specify the width of the table, you can set it as a percent e.g. 95% or as a number of pixels e.g. 300 or just leave it blank and the table will size itself.
    26. $showdate > If you want to show the date *and* the time, set this to 1. If you want to just show the time, set this to 0.
    27. $cs > If you want a thin line around your cells, set this to 1 (or higher - experiment!). Set to 0 for no line.
    28. $nb > if you want breaks in text to appear as such, set this to 1. otherwise set it to 0 (this may cause problems if there are large breaks in the text)
    29. $showforumtitle > if you want to show the forum title, linked to that forum, for each thread also (forum title: thread title) then set this to 1. otherwise set it to 0.
    30. $showicon > if you want to show the icon the author chose for their post, set this to 1. otherwise set it to 0.

4] Upload both last10.php and last10config.php to your website. You can include last10.php as follows. To include it on a PHP-parsed page (.php, .php3, .phtml, etc.):
    <? include("last10.php"); ?>
    To include it on a server-parsed page (.shtml, .shtm, .ssi, etc.):
    <!--#include file="last10.php"-->

Instructions are also included in the zip file (last10.txt).

FEEDBACK WANTED! Likes/dislikes/modification requests all gladly accepted!

Please DO NOT contact me via IM or PM about this hack. Post your problem/question here and I will try to help you.
    Last edited by tubedogg; Sat 25 Aug '01, 1:23pm.
  • Dream
    • Mar 2001
    • 3.6.x

nice, congrats

time to change your signature
    Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

Thanks I just did

Comment

• MovieJeff
        • Feb 2001

Nice hack, but a question regarding the display.

It's designed to go in a pre-determined table rather than also allowing just the passing of a variable. I like it just the way it is with the exception of it being in a table rather than having it as an option or just passing the info.

For example, I would like to put just the "last posts" only inside a table on my home page that's designed for side display on the left. If you could just pass the code variable that would solve it and let the user determine what design/table size, colors, etc. to put it in.

Thanks, let us know about any updates.

Jeff

Comment

• RobAC
          • Jan 2001
          • 3.8.x

Tubedogg,

As usual, very nice hack. I have it up and running on my homepage now. I did find one small bug though. On line 26:

require("$path/config.php");

Causes a parse error. Reason being, you're already specifying $path in line 5 which is the URL to your config.php. What happens is that it reads $path/config.php/config.php

No big deal though. Works great and looks awesome!
          Rob

Comment

• tubedogg
            • Feb 2001

If you include config.php in your path, that will occur. I should have made it clearer in the instructions not to include config.php in the path.

Glad you like it!

Comment

• veedee
              • Sep 2000
              • 1.1.x

yeah put me down for one of them !!!

nice work will install tonite !

~veedee
              Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

Comment

• conan
                • Sep 2000

Nice hack, congrats man!

One question, can you set up so it will display new threads from a specific forum only?
                That would be a great feature!

Comment

• tubedogg
                  • Feb 2001

New version released (0.0.2)!

Done, conan. See the first thread for a new version with that and a couple other new features!

Comment

• RobAC
                    • Jan 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Once again, nice job!
                    Rob

Comment

• Parker Clack
                      • Apr 2000

tubedogg:

Do you think that you could write this so that you could get the message that was posted included?

Parker

Comment

• conan
                        • Sep 2000

Whoa great man Thanks that's very useful!
                        Usually on your site you will have some chit-chat forums that you don't want to be displayed on the main page
                        Thanks a lot it's just what I needed!

Comment

• tubedogg
                          • Feb 2001

New version released (0.1.0)!

I have released a new version with Parker's suggestion and a couple other new features. It is version 0.1.0. Enjoy!

See the first post in this thread to download it.

Comment

• SteveK
                            • Sep 2000

Great display of info about the hack, tubedogg. File info, instructions, screen shots, a .txt file for easy cut/paste, etc. We should make this a template of what all hack release threads should look like.

Comment

• tubedogg
                              • Feb 2001

aw shucks. Thanks!

Comment