X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

Guichi, i'll get Chris or someone higher up to contact you ASAP to resolve this issue...

licensing support is handled separately from normal support ticket handlers like myself don't get to deal with licensing issues such as these ones
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• Chen
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by xiphoid
      I myself would only accept Jelosft.com E-mails about illegal versions, so I know I am replying to the 'right' people. And not just some site where I can not get any confirmation from that they are working together with Jelsoft to fight piracy.
      Jelsoft works with NukePirates to handle the piracy reports.
      Chen Avinadav
      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Guichi
        • Jul 2001

ive already emailed chris two times over the past few days about the issue to no avail.

Comment

• Kaizen
          • Aug 2001

NukePirates.com handles vbulletin's piracy issues - chases up pirates etc.

I assume that they found your site, tried to compare it will one in the licence database and had no luck. That is why you have received the email. I don't think they can actually look through the list of licenced sites only search it.

I however truely think that Jelsoft and NukePirates should reconsider how they treat suspected pirates (Innocent till proven guilty) because I know many people who have been sent treatenting emails by NukePirates.
          Email: [email protected]
          Site: Under Construction

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Kaizen

I assume that they found your site, tried to compare it will one in the licence database and had no luck. That is why you have received the email. I don't think they can actually look through the list of licenced sites only search it.

I however truely think that Jelsoft and NukePirates should reconsider how they treat suspected pirates (Innocent till proven guilty) because I know many people who have been sent treatenting emails by NukePirates.
            Since my hosting provider isn't the #1 in the world, my domain is a redirect to a dir where the first domain on the server is located. Therefor the true url is not the one I have submitted to search engines. I think I can expect np.com emails too While I am seriously a legal license holder.

I can not find on their web site or on this one that they are actually working together. So sorry..
            Yes I just got FireFly to say it, but .. if I got an E-mail from their yesterday .. I'd just probably throw it in the /dev/null

By the way, they ARE replying to E-mails you send. I have been getting replies to 99,9% of the E-mails I send.
            The lease license does not cost $100,- but only $85,-
            If you are sure you want to keep using vBulletin .. you can get the owned license, which is $160,- .. which is cheaper over time.
            Last edited by Floris; Sun 7 Apr '02, 7:05am.

Comment

• Guichi
              • Jul 2001

i think you mean they treat suspected sites as guilty until proven innocent. you guys have to understand that this is also the livelyhood of many websites. We pay for a service just like any other business and expect Jelsoft to act upon things appropriately and in a timely manner. According to the letter i recieved i only have days until i have my page removed because of a simple misunderstanding over something so silly is inexusable to me.with many free and now open-source bulletin board software available to users, customer support is a must in order to keep this business going strong. When most users think of vbulletin they think of a quality board and expect quality support when purchasing the lisence. But when users are treated in such a manner over a simple redirector then it kinda makes you think otherwise about purchasing your product. I could have gotten the same amount of support for a free Bulletin Board with little or no restrictions at all and i would have recieved the same kind of customer support on their forums as i would have on this one. As of this upcoming Monday i will cease use of my vbulletin and begin to convert it to another free Bulletin board software.
              Last edited by Guichi; Sun 7 Apr '02, 7:20am.

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Guichi

i think you mean they treat suspected sites as guilty until proven innocent. you guys have to understand that this is also the livelyhood of many websites. We pay for a service just like any other business and expect Jelsoft to act upon things appropriately and in a timely manner. According to the letter i recieved i only have days until i have my page removed because of a simple misunderstanding over something so silly is inexusable to me.with many free and now open-source bulletin board software available to users, customer support is a must in order to keep this business going strong. When most users think of vbulletin they think of a quality board and expect quality support when purchasing the lisence. But when users are treated in such a manner over a simple redirector then it kinda makes you think otherwise about purchasing your product. I could have gotten the same amount of support for a free Bulletin Board with little or no restrictions at all and i would have recieved the same kind of customer support on their forums as i would have on this one. As of this upcoming Monday i will cease use of my vbulletin and begin to convert it to another free Bulletin board software.
                I personally think that is rediculous.. If you are a legal license holder, and you have paid for it. Then you have nothing to worry about. The way np.com is contacting you stands alone from how Jelsoft might want to deal with it, and/or how the product is that you purchased.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Why don't you simply send them a copy of your valid license information. That is all that is required to solve the issue. You can also update your URL in the Member's Area to reflect the correct location of the forum installation.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Guichi
                    • Jul 2001

*sigh* i cant remember how many times i have sent my lisence number to vbulletin staffers and nukepirates already.

Comment

• Chris Schreiber
                      • Jun 2000
                      • 4.0.x

Guichi, I have gotten your emails and verified your license... the reason our copyright agents (nukepirates) contacted you was because the site URL they found your forums running on wasn't the URL registered with your license. I did send an email to both you and them that the site was properly licensed and the issue was closed. I will follow up again to make sure everyone involved knows this is the case.

Comment

• Kaizen
                        • Aug 2001

Personally I think the current way of things needs to be changed;

1) Where we download vbulletin from the members it should say very clearly, that if we don't "keep the url to our forums up-to-date we will be contacted about this and legal proceedings may follow", or something like that.

2) You should say very clearly on this site and maybe in the install of vbulletin that Piracy issues are handled by NukePirates, and then explain who they are and why they are here.

3) NukePirates have been known to send out some pretty threatening emails. If the vbulletin user is definately a pirate I don't see any problem with this. However, if there is any/ some doubt (and the current system does not stop this doubt) then a polite email should be sent to these people explaining the situation and how they can stop it. (If people already know who NukePirates are (Point 1 and 2) they will be happy to assist with enquires and resolve the matter.). If the problem still remains unsolved (the vbulletin user is a pirate) then a more severe email should be sent to them and the host explaining that legal action will follow if they do not conform.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Chris Schreiber
                          Guichi, I have gotten your emails and verified your license... the reason our copyright agents (nukepirates) contacted you was because the site URL they found your forums running on wasn't the URL registered with your license. I did send an email to both you and them that the site was properly licensed and the issue was closed. I will follow up again to make sure everyone involved knows this is the case.
                          Jay for that!

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

Personally I think the current way of things needs to be changed;

1) Where we download vbulletin from the members it should say very clearly, that if we don't "keep the url to our forums up-to-date we will be contacted about this and legal proceedings may follow", or something like that.
                            This is clearly stated in the license agreement and on the edit license page that all customers have access to:
                            In accordance with the license agreement, we request that you please submit the URL where you are using (or intend to use) this license. In addition, if you fill in the optional "site description" and "site title" text boxes, your forum will be reviewed for inclusion on the vBulletin links page.
                            2) You should say very clearly on this site and maybe in the install of vbulletin that Piracy issues are handled by NukePirates, and then explain who they are and why they are here.
                            We have made it clear before that we will work within all possible means to protect our copyright. This is just one of those means.

3) NukePirates have been known to send out some pretty threatening emails. If the vbulletin user is definately a pirate I don't see any problem with this. However, if there is any/ some doubt (and the current system does not stop this doubt) then a polite email should be sent to these people explaining the situation and how they can stop it. (If people already know who NukePirates are (Point 1 and 2) they will be happy to assist with enquires and resolve the matter.). If the problem still remains unsolved (the vbulletin user is a pirate) then a more severe email should be sent to them and the host explaining that legal action will follow if they do not conform.

Just my 2 cents
                            While you may think the letter is threatening, it isn't. It has to be written in a specific way to be legally binding in a court of law and a Cease and Desist letter of this kind is usually the first step in resolving these issues. Threatening would be if we filed motions and had your site shutdown before you were even contacted the first time.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Kaizen
                              • Aug 2001

I still think you should mention NukePirates directly.

P.s. Jelsoft/vbulletin has also said in the past, "never give out your license information to anyone other than jelsoft/vbulletin employees". Extra point: "NukePirates" is not listed as a trusted party or an employee of jelsoft/vbulletin.

Comment

• Guichi
                                • Jul 2001

i think one of the mods/admins may want to close this
                                1- this isnt good for your reputation
                                2- im not keeping my vbulletin, its not worth the trouble and worry just because some people arent responisble enough to check their emails or have the common courtesy to answer someone on such a pressing matter, you have truly lost a customer today.

I apologize to TimHL for interupting his discussion and hope you find a converter soon.
                                Last edited by Guichi; Sun 7 Apr '02, 8:56am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...